Criminal Injury | Paul Rooney
Criminal Injury

If you have suffered a personal injury as a result of a criminal incident that was not your fault then you may be entitled to compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Criminal Injury Compensation Claims

Criminal Injury

The CICA is a government funded body that assists blameless victims who suffer mental or physical injuries as a result of violent crime. You can even make a claim if the person responsible hasn’t been prosecuted by the police.

The circumstances surrounding a crime are unique, so each case will have its own set of specific considerations. Our specialist criminal injury advisers will guide you through the process and establish whether you can make a claim. To qualify for criminal injuries compensation you must have:

  • Reported the incident to the police as soon as possible
  • Sought medical attention or be in the process of medical intervention
  • The crime must have happened within the past two years
  • You must not have caused, or contributed to, the ‘incident’ in any way

How we can help you

If you, or someone you know, has been a victim of a violent crime, call our criminal injury case handlers at Paul Rooney Solicitors or complete the claim form on the right hand side of this page and we will contact you.

There are many organisations that offer support to victims of crime. The list below is just a small selection of them.

Victim Support

An independent national charity for people who have been affected by crime.


Phone: 0845 303 0900


Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

A registered charity that provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to members of the public.


Phone: 0845 404 0506

True Vision

Provides information on the reporting of hate crimes and allows you to report a hate crime through an online form on the webiste. It is owned by the association of chief police officers.



Rape Crisis (England & Wales)

Rape Crisis (England and Wales) was set up to support the work of autonomous Rape Crisis Centres in England and Wales. The rape crisis is specifically for women and girls providing counselling and information for victims of sexual abuse.


Phone: 0808 802 9999



SurvivorsUK helps men who have been sexually violated and raises awareness of their needs.


Phone: 0845 122 1201


Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse offers specialist website, telephone, email and face-to-face support for adults, children and young people who need somewhere to turn when someone dies.


Phone: 0844 477 9400.

Typical Compensation Amount Information:

There are four types of compensation available:

Compensation for injuries

  • This can include an injury sustained as a result of a direct assault, taking action to prevent a violent crime, prolonged sexual, physical or mental abuse.
  • Compensation for a loved one that has passed away due to a violent crime

This can include financial dependency (if you were financially or physically dependant on the deceased at the time of death), funeral costs and bereavement payments.

Special damages

  • The scheme allows claims for expenses that occurred as a direct result of the criminal injury such as, damage to special aid equipment (wheelchairs and walking aids etc), adaptations to your home to enable you to maintain a standard of living, care costs not covered by the NHS or local authority.
  • Compensation for loss of earnings as a result of criminal injuries

You can claim for loss of earnings if you have been unable to work or have been left with a limited capacity to work as a direct result of the criminal injury.


Thank you for all your hard work, I will recommend you to friends and family if they ever need your services.

Thank you for all your help, excellent service, good result

I would just like to say thank you for all your hard work in dealing with this claim. Thank you all